Health & Care > Pet care, safety and insurance > Know What To Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate

Share |
03/29/2012 19:29:02 PM by K.T.Riffic   Send Message to K.T.Riffic  2678  views, category: Pet care, safety and insurance view all blogs

    

NOTE: If your dog has already eaten chocolate and is exhibiting unusual behavior, call your local vet or animal hospital now. If you do not have access to one, call the ASPCA poison control line at (888) 462-4435 - a $65 fee will apply.

Chocolate Poisoning
We have all heard that chocolate is bad for dogs and is the one food item that you should never ever let your dog near. But why?

Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine that is toxic to dogs. Depending on the size of the dog and the amount of chocolate your dog ingests, the theobromine can give them a stomachache or it could be fatal.

Types of Chocolate
The stronger the chocolate, the worse the symptoms. For a twenty pound dog, it would take a lot of white chocolate to cause much harm, but only a very small amount of baking chocolate to do lots of damage. Here are some examples of how much chocolate it would take to seriously harm your dog. In each statement, it gives the amount of chocolate a 20 pound dog would need to eat to seriously harm it. The second sentence give the amount of ounces per pound of body weight.

It would take 55 pounds of white chocolate to seriously harm a 20 pound dog. That is 45 to 90 ounces per pound of body weight.

It would take a little less than 1 pound of milk chocolate to cause serious nervous system damage in a 20 pound dog. That is .7 to 2 ounces per pound of body weight.

It would only take 6 ounces of semisweet chocolate to cause serious harm to a 20 pound dog. That is one third of an ounce to 1 ounce per pound of body weight.

And it would only take 2 ounces of baking chocolate to cause nervous system damage to a 20 pound dog. That is 0.1 to 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight.

To put that in perspective, 6 Hershey’s Kisses is one ounce of milk chocolate.  

What Does Chocolate Poisoning Look Like?
Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include panting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, increased urination, higher than normal heart rate, high blood pressure, seizures, and coma.

Some of those symptoms do not seem like they would cause you any alarm. When isn’t your dog hyperactive? But, if you know that your batch of chocolate muffins is missing, you may want to keep an eye on him.

If you are not sure, stay on the safe side and contact your local vet or animal hospital. Each moment is important.


About the author: Kayleigh has always loved animals and has spent time volunteering at the local dog shelter. The love of her life is her four year old Rottweiler, Lizzie. She enjoys writing for YeePet.com since it combines her love of animals with one of her favor... more >>

See something on the Internet that you'd like us to profile in this column? Anything about pet fashion, technology or interesting is good. Send us an email to editors@yeepet.com or leave a comment below.

Share |
igor
Admin


That is very good information. Keep your Dogs away from Chocolates. It's very important that yougive proper Dog Food to your Dog and take care that your Dogs are no way near to chocolates. Also you can spread this word in your neighbourhood, so that even other people don't feed chocolates to their Dogs.

Posted by Admin on Friday, 08/03/2012, 04:24AM

K.T.Riffic's Info 

user
K.T.Riffic
Member Since: 10/20/2009
Total Blogs: 321
K.T.Riffic's Blogs
profile Most Recent
profile Most Commented
profile Most Viewed
Need FREE advertising for your pet
business and quality backlinks to your pet site?
Join Yeepet Buzz Club or submit your article today!

Search by Keywords

 Sign Up for Newsletters

 Pet Gallery

Featured Bloggers

KapitN KapitN
Los Angeles, CA United States

Blogs posted: 272


HAFowler HAFowler
Peru, NY United States

Blogs posted: 22


Jade07 Jade07
Hollywood, CA United States

Blogs posted: 26


K.T.Riffic K.T.Riffic
Seymour, CT United States

Blogs posted: 321


Latest Local Events

No Events Found