Go Back   Pet Forums - Yeepet > Dogs > Dog Health & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Great Tip for Dogs who don't drink water that often

Dog Health & Care

Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Your Profile Picture
Wink Great Tip for Dogs who don't drink water that often

I don't know if this is a common pet habit but my dog is stubborn when it comes to drinking water. Especially now that we have these warm summer days, I worry. If it's a chronic issue, I would recommend taking your pet to a vet. But in Mona Mi's situation, it was a case of the stubborn Italian Greyhound.

You ask, is she active? Yes, I take her walking once a day for about 30 minutes. My original thought for her not drinking water was possibly because I added oatmeal to her food. Oatmeal cooked still has a lot of water in it. Despite that, I was still concerned she wasn't getting enough water. As you know Moms are very creative in making a child eat their greens but in this case it was making the pooch drink her water and my Mom was about to find the solution to my problem.

My dogs favorite things to eat usually consist of meat, oatmeal, veggies, and fruit-of course human foods that are healthy/safe for dogs. So one day my mom cut a slice of strawberry and placed it in the water dish. And just like magic my dog drank all her water (very small cup) including the prize at the bottom-her strawberry. Since then she's been drinking her water. I figure if she gets tired of the slice of strawberry then we will go to the next fruit and so on. So far so good.

My other dog who passed away due to cancer (my sweet Jessie), loved to drink water with ice cubes. So I conclude drinking water can be an adventure- whether it is a favorite toy, ice cubes, or a treat in the water. Whatever it takes.

PM | Profile | Pet Profile | Blogs | Groups | Friends
Old 06-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Your Profile Picture

Good idea. Very creative. Dogs are curious like cats sometimes. I had a dog before and he didn't like drinking water. I had to put his favorite toy in the water (of course the toy is clean enough). Dogs are really adventurous!

Old 06-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Your Profile Picture

Yeah, dogs are adventurous. I work at a doggy daycare facility and now that it's summer, the dogs love to play and drink water in the pool at the same time. It's really fun to watch-including the fact that there is more then one dog in the kiddy pool. Dog breeds like Labs are the most commonly seen doing this type of behaviour. But I know there are a lot of dogs who looooove water.

PM | Profile | Pet Profile | Blogs | Groups | Friends