Go Back   Pet Forums - Yeepet > Dogs > Dog Health & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help For Arthritic Joints & Pain

Dog Health & Care

Old 06-06-2009, 05:55 AM
Your Profile Picture
Exclamation Help For Arthritic Joints & Pain

A 2007 study done by APOP (Association for Pet Obesity Prevention) showed that approximately 43% of dogs — 32 million — were overweight or obese. Many obese dogs suffer from joint pain that is made worse, or even caused by, the extra pounds. And that can make owners wonder if they’re facing a catch-22: Weight loss will ease their dog’s pain, but because of the pain, their dog just can’t move around enough to lose the weight. Right?

Yes and no. Although painful dogs are understandably reluctant to play a vigorous game of seek-and-destroy the tennis ball — or even amble around the block — Combining pain management with low-impact exercises and a strict diet, these dogs can lose the weight they need to.

Helping your dog include Cutting Calories, Easing the Pain, Walking it off, and Hydrotherapy.

For more info, you can read the article at:
PetsMatter

Old 07-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Your Profile Picture
Thumbs up Great Article!

Trying to figure out what to do when your pet is overweight and in pain is a challenging situation. However, making those little steps as the article suggests (limiting treats, encouraging exercise with toys, etc.) can start your dog on a healthier path.

PM | Profile | Pet Profile | Blogs | Groups | Friends
Old 07-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Your Profile Picture
Smile re: overweight pets

Since you have a photo of a German Shepherd, I wanted to mention something I have used as a preventative measure before. "MoveFree," which is an over-the-counter joint medication for humans was recommended by one of my vets as a supplement for GSDs to help try and prevent later hip dysplasia, etc. I used it for awhile until I ran out of the bottle, and just didn't ever go buy more, but my dog is also pretty young still, so I'm not too worried about that at the moment.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Your Profile Picture

Great post.

Fish oil and a no-grain diet can also help ease inflammation, and may ease arthritis pain. It's important to keep moving through the pain; exercise will help reduce it.

PM | Profile | Pet Profile | Blogs | Groups | Friends