Go Back   Pet Forums - Yeepet > Dogs > Dog Health & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Senior Dogs

Dog Health & Care

Old 12-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Your Profile Picture
Default Senior Dogs

Hi Dr. Greg, we just adopted a senior dog - a 12 year old Springer Spaniel from owners that were relocating and could not keep their dog. He has received great vet/medical care, but I have noticed that his hearing is not what it should be, and his eyes, while bright, have a very slight skim or haze on them.

What should I know about this type of dog at his age? He is an inside dog, only going out when we go out. How can we help him be as healthy as he can be, and what can we do about hearing loss and decreased vision? I am now feeding him Wellness for Senior dogs. Thanks! Judy

Old 12-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Your Profile Picture

Does he have any gunky ear wax or red ears? Does he itch? How does his coat llok? How is his weight? As dogs age they sometimes need a bit of heathy human food like chicken, fish,shrimp, turkey, pork, carrots, green beans and a teaspoon of canola or a egg yolk daily.Most vets stick to the "feed one kibble or canned food" all the time theory. I think a bit of healthy food helps the attitude and internal organs. Do not feed beef or wheaty treats as these sometimes cause ear skin stomach and bowel problems.
Some older dogs get constipated,,so moistening the kibble with a cup of water is very helpful, some dogs love chicken broth in their food. One fish oil cap today and glucosamine pill daily helps joints stay in good shape

Old 12-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Your Profile Picture
Default Thanks

Thank you Dr. Greg for your answer. I do not think he has any wax in his ears, but will have the vet check him out when he goes in this week. He does not act like his ears hurt at all? But I cannot see way down in there either.

Thanks for the other advice/info - it is much appreciated. Judy