Go Back   Pet Forums - Yeepet > Dogs > Dog Health & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ridgeback with poop issues

Dog Health & Care

Old 01-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Your Profile Picture
Default Ridgeback with poop issues

Hallo... I have a 4 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback. He is in general good health, has an appetite like a horse, full of energy and is not listless etc in any way. His diet consists of raw meat, and Pedigree cubes. I walk him once a day for a good long walk and he is ALWAYS bouncing off the wall to go for that walk.

The problem is that randomly, he has a strange liquid/yellow poop. It can be like this one day, and a normal poop the next day.

I live in Brazil very far from a vet etc, and wonder if anyone has any advice or notices anything. Could it be something like eating flowers in my garden???

I have pictures of this poop type, and with them, pictures of the normal poop. It can literally vary from day to day...

I also have a 3 year old Daschie, and she NEVER has any of the same issues. Her poop is always normal. Neither dog has ever been sick... both appear to be in excellent health etc.

I have attached pics of the 2 poop types of the Ridgeback, in the hopes that an expert can tell something from them.

Thanks!
Dave in Brazil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9187.JPG (120.0 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9190.JPG (115.0 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9193.jpg (46.9 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9194.jpg (46.9 KB, 176 views)

PM | Profile | Pet Profile | Blogs | Groups | Friends
Old 01-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Your Profile Picture

Dave
diarrhea can be caused by allergies to beef, wheat, or corn ingredients in the food as well as the protozoa giardia.The pedigree cubes may be the culprit I would check the label for any of the three I mentioned.Chicken rice or chicken veggie meals or commercial food is a good way to check this Also check the treats you feed for the same. Metronidiazole is a good all purpose gut antiinflamatory agent and treatment for giardia. Do they sell wormers at the feed stores there?

Old 01-08-2010, 02:48 AM
Your Profile Picture
Smile Thank you Dr Greg

Thank you for this advice! I do occassionally give them things like left overs from my own table; It´s possible that that is the source of the issue. I dont think it the cubes, since I stopped any "extras/treats" about 4 days ago since when registering on the forum, to in a sense get a "baseline" environment, and since then absolutely no issues at all. I will continue for the moment on this regimen, and will see if things maintain.

As far as your questions regarding the medication and the de-wormers go... I believe so, yes; things are very easy to get hold of like that, even OTC

For now I will monitor him on the restricted diet, and just stay away from the human food treats etc.

The funny thing is that my little daschie has a constitution like an ox, nothing phases her at all... she even eats frogs!

Regards!

Old 01-08-2010, 05:18 AM
Your Profile Picture

Dave,

Some human food is healthy and fine such as chicken fish shrimp carrots green beans and potatoes. In fact variety may even help the bowels adjust to change a bit better. I forgot to mention probiotics which are cultures of good digestive organisms in yogurt and fresh milk. They sometimes help regulate things...unless the individual dog is allergic to dairy products. If you are interested check out dogdishdiet.com for other blogs

Old 01-08-2010, 05:45 AM
Your Profile Picture

Ok, Dr Greg, I will keep it limited to the list you gave. Also, I will check out that website. Thanks!