Go Back   Pet Forums - Yeepet > Dogs > Dog Health & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Are Fleas Really Hard to Remove?

Dog Health & Care

Old 04-08-2010, 12:49 AM
Your Profile Picture
Default Are Fleas Really Hard to Remove?

Dr. Greg, are fleas really resistant to the flea products on the market? What products should I use for dogs and cats? I know Frontline but it's expensive.

PM | Profile | Pet Profile | Blogs | Groups | Friends
Old 04-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Your Profile Picture

You can buy Advantage or Frontline on-line where they are more economical. I have not seen resistance develop yet, and both seem to be effective. However some over the counter flea tretments are not so effective. Did you know if you have multiple dogs and cats...you can divy up the treatment.Make sure before you share that the medication is safe for catsYou can use a large size of advantage for several animals and it is more cost effective. All animals need to be treated for several months straight to take care of the problem. Sometimes if there are feral cats, the yard will have to be sprayed on occasion. More untreated animals that wander, bring the fleas

Old 04-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Your Profile Picture

I used Frontline last time on my cats. They went to the yard and garage and got a lot of fleas. I think it works. I used to put on flea collars for them but they are not effective at all.

I also found some products treat flea eggs only not adults. So pay attention. I bought Frontline online and it is less expensive.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Your Profile Picture

I have found that flea products have to be used on all animals for several months to be effective. The best sellers are advantage and frontline, but frontline has had a lot of reports of flea resistance in my clinic and in internet articles. Program for cats only kills the eggs but lets the adults bite, so I always prefer advantage

Old 05-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Your Profile Picture

But I found Advantage products kill only fleas not the eggs and others like lice. It's what it says on the package. I guess it's why it's priced lower. Frontline Plus kills fles, eggs, lice, etc. I always buy Frontline. Am I wrong?

PM | Profile | Pet Profile | Blogs | Groups | Friends