Go Back   Pet Forums - Yeepet > Fish > Fish Health & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Don't pet them and don't flush them prematurely down the can!

Fish Health & Care

Old 08-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Your Profile Picture
Smile Don't pet them and don't flush them prematurely down the can!

Don't pet fish or the dreaded ICK will happen. My brother, in his "I'm a horrible little boy" stage, poked his fish sometimes and a couple developed ICK, where their skin (because of human oils, etc.) started being covered in this weird substance, and then a little while later we'd find them fin-up floating on the top of the waterline.

Oh, and all drains do NOT lead to the ocean. Despite what you've been told in certain Pixar films ... apparently there was a rash of little children trying to "free" their fish after that film opened - flushing their fish down the toilets ... and straight into the water treatment and processing plants ... **sigh**

Old 08-14-2008, 02:41 AM
Your Profile Picture
Wink Guilty as charged

AHAHAHAHAHA oh that made me laugh (guilt face). But when we got our first fish all I wanted to do was love it and pet it. Starved of affection much? haha.

Last week my colleague divulged a secret- not being allowed anything other than a fish she got quite attached to it, as kids naturally can do and decided to run a bath for them both. On went the swimming costume and in she got with the fish to frollick around. It didnt live long afterwards.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Your Profile Picture

oh my gosh, how funny! Goes to show, though, how impressionable little kids are and how important it is to explain to them that no, Johnny/Suzie, that's not how it really works (in the case of Nemo and his trip to the sea via the toilet).

MJ

PM | Profile | Pet Profile | Blogs | Groups | Friends
Old 06-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Your Profile Picture

It's not just little kids!! My roommate last year (she is 21 years old) took care of her friends fish the year before. Four goldfish died in three days because she kept getting bored with them and petting them. Ridiculous!!! She also over fed them because she thought they would be happier full. Not the case.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Your Profile Picture
Cool re: fat fish

Oh yep, I remember that conversation with the fish guy from the local pet store. "Fish will eat as much as you give them for as long as you give it to them, so be careful how many fish flakes you dole out, else you watch your fish EXPLODE!!!!!"

I was terrified of over-feeding my fish after that. My fish were probably underfed and grumpy. Diet fish.

My brother, once again, then heard another fish rumor that if you take a salt-water fish and put it in fresh water it explodes, and if you take a fresh water fish and put it in salt water it shrivels up. Or is it the other way around? Well, he really wanted to try it, but we never (thankfully) had a salt-water tank.