Go Back   Pet Forums - Yeepet > Cats > Cat Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cat Breed Selector (online quiz)

Cat Fans

Old 07-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Your Profile Picture
Talking Cat Breed Selector (online quiz)

I just found a web site online that has a quiz you can take to help you select what type of cat breed you should get if you are thinking of getting a pure bred cat. The link to the web site is: http://www.iams.com/iams/pet-care/cat-breed.jsp

I took the quiz and it gave me several different breeds I might be a good match for along with percentages indicating how matched I would be.

It looks like my top match for cat breeds is Havana Brown at 92%. Below is a brief description on this breed. I encourage you to take this quiz, especially if you are thinking of getting a cat. Feel free to share what breed you were matched up with!

The Havana Brown is the color of burnished mahogany, with a coat so smooth and glossy that it gleams in the light—a virtual reddish-brown beacon of lustrous color. Truly distinctive, the Havana Brown’s unique muzzle shape, lovely coat, brilliant green eyes, large, forward-tilted ears and loving personality make this breed stand out.
The Havana Brown is a graceful, medium-size cat with a firm, muscular body and an overall moderate body type—midway between cobby (like a Persian) and svelte (like a Siamese). This breed is surprisingly heavy for its size.

The Havana Brown’s head is distinctive—it’s longer than it is wide, narrowing to a somewhat narrow, rounded muzzle with a pronounced break on both sides behind the whisker pads. When viewed in profile, a distinct stop is evident at the eyes. The muzzle looks more like a protrusion than an extension of the head; some fanciers say the rectangular shape looks like a corn cob or the base of a light bulb. The end of the muzzle appears almost square and this optical illusion is enhanced by the well-developed chin. The somewhat narrow muzzle and the whisker break are distinctive characteristics of the breed and must be evident in the typical specimen. Allowance should be made for somewhat broader heads and jowls in unaltered males.

The wide-set ears are large but not flared, rounded at the tips and cupped at the base. They are tilted forward, giving the cat an alert appearance. The ears are sparsely furred inside and out. The medium-sized oval-shaped eyes are set wide apart and are brilliant, alert and expressive. The color is any vivid shade of green, the deeper the color the better.

The Havana Brown stands relatively tall on straight legs. The females’ legs are slim and dainty compared to the more powerfully muscled legs of mature males. The tail is slender, not whiplike or blunt, neither long nor short, but medium in length in proportion to the body. Overall balance and proportion is more important than size. Males weigh 8 to 10 pounds; females weigh 6 to 8 pounds.

The coat is smooth and glossy, short to medium in length. The breed comes in two colors, depending upon the association, brown and its dilute color, lilac (lavender). The brown color is a rich and even shade of warm brown, tending to red-brown or mahogany rather than a black-brown or sable. A dark, sable-type brown coat is considered a fault. Whisker color must match coat color; white whiskers are a disqualifying trait.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Your Profile Picture
Default So Fun!

Thanks for suggesting. I already have 2 cats and was just curious to see what my matches were. The top breed at 100% was a Cymric (longhaired manx). Interestingly enough one of the breeds that was a match was a Turkish Van....which is one of the cats that I have.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Your Profile Picture

It sounds like this quiz was pretty accurate for you. How cool! I am curious to see how others score as well. :-)

Old 07-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Your Profile Picture
Default Weird Descriptions..

Just what the hell does "cobby" mean when asked to describe what kind of cat body shape one prefers? Semi-cobby? Is this just another way of saying "stocky", or "prone to eating too much fish when presented to him?"

Strange Iams designer cat lingo. Plus, it looks like I'm supposed to have some sort of Manx cat. Would save me some time and energy when it comes to sweeping up cat fur, but I don't think I'll trade the boys in anytime soon.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Your Profile Picture

I think "cobby" meant "stocky". They probably should have gone with "round" or another word like that. Ha ha!