Go Back   Pet Forums - Yeepet > Adoption & Rescue
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Be careful with Craig's List

Adoption & Rescue

Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Your Profile Picture
Angry Be careful with Craig's List

Just wanted to put this out there as one of my friends came to me asking if I thought a post was legitimate on Craig's List concerning a "free" dog (it wasn't) and I was surprised that she assumed most their posts were. While Craig's List is great for people who find lost animals and want to widen their audience in hopes of finding the owner, and perhaps even okay for people who find stray animals and want to get them adopted out (though I would rather they take them to a rescue or shelter, doesn't necessarily have to be the pound, that has a system to screen potential adopters), it is NOT okay when the person posting seems to be only selling dogs for a profit or trying to "get rid" of a dog that might be sick, etc.

Just be careful on such sites and if you're looking to adopt, there are many reputable shelters and rescues that are still "affordable" and almost all of them are willing to work within your budget if you really need them to.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Your Profile Picture

That's a really good point. Animal shelters are definitely a good place to go. They charge you certain fees but nominal. I'm actually looking to adopt another cat and checked out the SPCA in San Francisco lately. Pretty reasonable "pricing" for adoption.

PM | Profile | Pet Profile | Blogs | Groups | Friends
Old 07-09-2008, 12:23 AM
Your Profile Picture
Cool re:SPCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by felldown99 View Post
That's a really good point. Animal shelters are definitely a good place to go. They charge you certain fees but nominal. I'm actually looking to adopt another cat and checked out the SPCA in San Francisco lately. Pretty reasonable "pricing" for adoption.

Hey have you checked out Wonder Cat Rescue? It's up in the Bay area and does good work!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Your Profile Picture

Agreed. I've read that people on Craigslist can be really sketchy. The Humane Society advises people giving away animals to charge an adoption fee, even if just $25, to weed out the people who aren't serious or just want to misuse the animal. So on the other side, when you are looking for a pet on Craigslist, look for someone who is perhaps charging a small fee. There's no point in paying a ton for a dog when you can get one at the shelter, but if it seems like someone giving away a healthy pet for a reasonable adoption fee, it may well be legitimate. But as you said, do be wary of those that claim to be giving them away for free.

A group I used to rescue for, and now help with marketing efforts, places ads for the dogs in their foster program on Craigslist, so I can assure you there are many legitimate pets on there who need homes. But as a.doyle mentioned, it may be best to go directly through a rescue group so you can be sure it's not a scam.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Your Profile Picture
Smile Good post

....I must say there a couple of well-established sites that I use over here in the UK which operate similarly to Craigslist but I think are quite trustworthy. Gumtree and Freecycyle are two examples. I think Freecycle is particularly good as it works on a community login basis. Albie was advertised on Gumtree. Of course there were a few ads that I would recommend caution with, I suppose these decisions are at each persons discretion.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Your Profile Picture

I'd Like To Add Something Else To Be Watched For On Craigslist:

I Was Recently Looking For A Good Home To Place My Uncle's Dog, Sammy. [Uncle Kinda Had A Mid-Life Crisis, Bought A RV And Left]. Sammy's A Sweet Heart, A Tall Lanky, Curly Black Greyhound/Lab/Pitbull Mix. However He Is Currently In My Grandmother's Care Who Just Doesnt Have The Time For An Energetic, Sociable Thing Like Him

Anyway While Looking On Craiglist For Wanted Ads On Dogs, I Noticed A Post From A Man In Newport, OR Who Supposedly Was Married With Children And Wanted A "Large Dog" To Adopt. He Required A Picture Of The Dog First And Offered To Drive "Anywhere In The Northwest" To Collect The Canine. There Were No Specifics On His Adress, No Information On His Home Or Lifestyle, Or Why He Wanted "A Large Dog". No Questions On The Medical Status Nor The Manner Or Disposition Of The Dog.

Odd For A Man With Kids, Right? Or I Think So At Least. I Got A Dog-Fighting Vibe From That Post, And I'm Worried That People Desperate To Give Up Their Animals Might Drop Them Right Into The Laps Of These Kind Of People ...

Old 09-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Your Profile Picture
Smile re: Craig's List

Great point x_sku_n_mum, I think we all agree that you have to be very careful about who you contact! Have you found a home for the dog yet? You could even post a photo and profile of him here if you haven't yet!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Your Profile Picture

I Have Found A Home, With An Old Neighbor Of Mine And His Kids. The Adoption Process Is Kinda In Hiatus, He Has To Convince His Wife