Go Back   Pet Forums - Yeepet > Adoption & Rescue
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dreaming of Running a Rescue?

Adoption & Rescue

Old 03-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Your Profile Picture
Arrow Dreaming of Running a Rescue?

Hello, all, I'm Aaron. I'm the Director of Gateway's Needy Animals, which is a rescue in the area of Pine Bluffs, Wyoming. We service the southeastern Wyoming, southwestern Nebraska, and northern Colorado areas. We are partnered with Litl' Bit Of Love in Carpenter, Wyoming (the actual shelter).

Anyway, I thought I'd post something here today as I'm tired of clicking on the forms to post pets for adoption. I'm not even halfway through the list yet, but it's getting there.

I get the same comment from most people I talk to when I mention our work here and what we're doing. "Wow," they say, "running an animal rescue must be great!"

My general reply is "Yep, it rocks. Unless you don't like pooper-scoopin'. Then it sucks."

That response usually gets weird looks, but I'm used to that. I wear t-shirts that say "Please! Spay and Neuter Your Politicians" and haven't met a hairbrush or comb that I've liked. I'm very Irish.

Alright, back on topic. The point is, running an animal rescue is not an easy thing. It's very rewarding, yes, but it's not easy. Nothing worth doing is. A shelter/rescue has three major responsibilities: caring for animals, raising funds, and letting people know that you're caring for animals.

All three are required unless you've got the bank account of Warren Buffet.

By far the hardest thing to do is raise funds. Especially when you've got "regular" work to do to earn a living, plus animals to care for (we have over 75 currently, half of which are livestock), plus a life to live. No one at our shelter draws a salary, as we can't afford to do so. Currently, our greatest donations are from local businesses, especially stores, who donate broken bags of food, farmers who donate hay, and random people who just leave stuff on our doorsteps, at the shelter (we call it "the ranch"), etc.

Those random and regular donations mean we spend our money on veterinary care and essentials. Our goal is to have every one of the animals in our care fixed. So far, that's true of all but the youngest and the Emus (who the vet can't fix without ruining their egg laying).

I could sit here typing all night to tell you all stories of the random events that have meshed together to show everyone involved that there is more than just "randomness" to them. Last week, for example, we were talking about cat food as we were down to only donated cans of wet food that might last a day. I was going to go into town and buy a couple of hundred pounds with my own money. While at the Post Office, someone left six bags (30# each) of cat food in the bed of my truck.

It's these things that keep us going, despite the work load.

I will tell you this, though: if you plan to run a rescue, even if it's just keeping two or three animals in your home, be prepared for some work. Those two or three will turn into a dozen before you know it.

Also, adopt written bylaws and procedures, whether you incorporate or not, as quickly as you can. Not only do these cover your butt legally, but they show people that you're serious. Cover things like adoption fees, receiving fees (to charge when people bring you pets), and procedures for adoption as well as an adoption questionnairre for people to fill out when adopting a pet.

Finally, make the conscious and deliberate decision as to whether you are a "no kill" shelter or not. The answer seems easy, but some day you'll be confronted with the fact that some animals truly are better off being put down. That decision will weigh heavily, but won't be nearly as hard to bear if you've sat down and discussed it to vet it out first.

There are realities to running a rescue shelter that many don't think about when they're dreaming of doing so. Like any business, it has to be realistic or it won't last long. If you take on thirty cats, but have nowhere to put them, who suffers?

I don't mean to dissuade anyone from starting a rescue or shelter, but you should definitely know what you're in for when you do it.

Like I said, it's extremely rewarding, but it's also very hard work.

If you ever have questions about how to proceed, feel free to ask them. I'm happy to try to help as much as I can.

--Aaron

Last edited by honorine : 03-05-2009 at 06:16 PM.

PM | Profile | Pet Profile | Blogs | Groups | Friends
Old 03-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Your Profile Picture
Red face re: Dreaming of Running a Rescue?

Welcome Aaron! What a great contribution and thank you for offering your help and advice!

Old 03-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Your Profile Picture
Cool Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.doyle View Post
Welcome Aaron! What a great contribution and thank you for offering your help and advice!
Thank you.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Your Profile Picture

Two months ago I got my German Shorthair, Theo, from Peppertree Rescue in NY. My dachshund is also a rescue dog. I think running a rescue is a wonderful thing and I wish I had the time, space and money to do so. Maybe when I retire, but until then, the least I can do is adopt!