Go Back   Pet Forums - Yeepet > Other Pets
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pet Plants

Other Pets

Old 03-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Your Profile Picture
Default Pet Plants

I just got a venus fly trap today! I've wanted one forever, it's cute, very small. I'm considering putting it in the tortoise cage because he gets fruit flies once in awhile, but the container says it needs really high humidity and tortoises like it dry so maybe I'll just keep it in a terrarium for now. Anyways, I'm excited and I think that this has the potential to be a cool new hobby to occupy my time at work. You know, instead of working.

PM | Profile | Pet Profile | Blogs | Groups | Friends
Old 03-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Your Profile Picture
Wink Re: Pet Plants

That's great! My old boss had a Venus fly trap (someone gave it to him as a gift) and he made me do all this research on it because he had no idea what to do with it. They are very finicky about their surroundings and food... you're actually NOT supposed to feed them flies that often... which I was surprised about because I always pictured the one from Little Shop of Horrors... lol... that ate EVERYTHING Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Your Profile Picture
Default venus fly traps eat crustaceans

Well my little plant had its first meal with us this week. We fed it some isopods from the yard (pill pugs, rolly pollies, whatever you want to call them) and it is amazing how quickly the traps closed! Of course I guess you just have to touch the trigger hair twice and it will close, but I guess I had separated in my mind what they would and would not eat into insects and non insects. I didn't even stop to think that they would eat non-insect things, spiders, centipedes, pill bugs, etc-but they do!

PM | Profile | Pet Profile | Blogs | Groups | Friends