Go Back   Pet Forums - Yeepet > Travel with Your Pet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Flying with the dog

Travel with Your Pet

Old 08-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Your Profile Picture
Unhappy Flying with the dog

So I might be flying with Lyra in several months and here are some thoughts / advice I've gotten ... please feel free to give any!

- I'm definitely taking a non-stop flight ... I wouldn't want to risk her sitting somewhere during a layover or getting mixed up on planes. A coworker's cat got LOST during a layover (don't worry, all turned out well!) and it was very stressful and emotional for all involved.

2 - I'm going to book a flight EARLY as flying with your pet now can reach $80 to $100 fees EACH way.

3 - Heading to the vet early to make sure I get a checklist of all vaccinations and documentation I'll need.

4 - Finding / Cleaning a proper airline crate and double-checking with the FAA that my crate fits regulations.

I wanted to drive but it's a way's and it would take several days to get there if I drove, and Amtrak (ze train) doesn't ALLOW pets!! **sigh** I'm nervous about flying but I've been told not to worry ... I really wish Companion Air was up and running!

Or I owned a private jet...

Old 10-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Your Profile Picture

Good luck with this. I know plenty of people who have flown with their pets and everything was fine, but it scares me a bit to think that my dog would likely be in a cold, dark, unfamiliar, really noisy space with all the other luggage. Maybe it's just my own personal hang-up. Like I said, I know plenty of people whose experiences have been fine.

PM | Profile | Pet Profile | Blogs | Groups | Friends
Old 10-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Your Profile Picture
Unhappy re: flying with the pooch

No no, I totally understand! That's my hang-up as well! I did talk to a United Rep the other week and she said that they don't put the dogs with the luggage anymore - they put them in another area - but who knows! Maybe I should see if I can ride down in the Cargo area too.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:10 AM
Your Profile Picture

Make sure you keep us posted as to how it all goes down for you. Good luck! Thanks!

Old 11-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Your Profile Picture
Smile re: Update on Flying

In addition to the fact that I am now paranoid about flying with my dog ... if I wasn't before anyway ... the stringent rules of airlines regarding temperatures at destinations have prevented me from making arrangements to fly my dog anyway since I would have been flying into a cold area.

And so, I go back to my original plan, which was more fun for me anyway, and that's driving home with a friend.

Excellent!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Your Profile Picture
Default Dogs much prefer to drive

I think that's the best course of action you could choose. I've heard some horror stories about trying to put animals into cargo holds, and resulting in tragedy.

Yes, it will take you a bit longer to reach your destination, but everyone involved will be much happier you chose this path. Safe travels!

Old 04-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Your Profile Picture
Default Flying with Daboovio On Jet Blue as a carryon

Hey there. I just flew home with my dog from Costa Rica to Florida, to Long Beach on Jet Blue. Jet Blue is great because if your dog meets the size restrictions you can take him/her as a carry on. The size of the bag had to be 18" long by 12" wide by 12" tall with mesh for ventilation. I also had to have an international health certificate. Well the Jet Blue people in Costa Rica didn't like my certification because it didn't have a particular stamp. I finally convinced them that it was ok, that it would be US customs discretion to quarantine the dog for 30 days if the papers were not correct, and that if they wouldn't let her go; I wasn't going (a silly question posed by the ticket agent, what I would just leave my dog there, yeah right). Then airport security gave me some more hassle, and again I explained it would be US customs problem, not theirs. Finally I made it on the plane and we made it to CUSTOMS in Florida. It was a breeze, the lady looked at my paper, verbally verified when the shots were, and wished me a good day. Flying from Florida to Long Beach was flawless. The ticket agent asked me the dogs name, that was it, she didn't even want to see any papers.
The only problem was that there was no connecting flight, so I had to pay the $100 dog fee twice! But it was worth it, and I recommend flying Jet Blue with your dog as a carry on if your pet meets the size restrictions.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Your Profile Picture
Talking re: Flying with Daboovio On Jet Blue as a carryon

You definitely know how to talk your way through those obnoxious customs people! I sometimes have trouble just getting MYSELF back into the country! Unfortunately, my dog is quite a lot bigger than your dog, methinks... she didn't fit any of the carry-on size requirements for any of the planes I checked.

HOWEVER. I was going to post this in a new forum box, but I think it fits aptly here. There is now a solution at least for flying you pet to and from certain cities. Pet Airways has just opened the first pets-only airline. Yes, that's right. A plane ONLY for pets... no humans allowed! So while YOU fly on a regular plane, you check your dog into the lounge and then pick it up at the receiving city's lounge as well. The dogs are then flown in the passenger area and presumably treated well. $179 for a flight, which I think would be well-worth not having to worry. Check it out!

Old 10-28-2011, 04:31 AM
Your Profile Picture

As a former United Airlines employee that used to deal with dogs in flight, I would say do not do it. Have someone take care of the dog or put it up in a kennel. Going through the process of being carted off in a cage, being loaded like freight in to the hold of the airplane and flying in a dark hold while the dog gets worse pressure in the ears than a human can be very stressful for the dog, and sometimes even fatal, even though they do pressurize and heat the hold for the dog. Many airlines won't even accept dogs in the cargo hold anymore.

There was a true story about American Airlines where a woman put 4 show dogs in the hold. The pilot forgot to heat the hold. The dogs all died.

I am not trying to be an alarmist but I have seen this stuff first hand and as an animal rescue person, I don't believe in putting a dog through that.