Go Back   Pet Forums - Yeepet > Cats > Cat Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turkish Vans really do like water

Cat Fans

Old 06-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Your Profile Picture
Wink Turkish Vans really do like water

My cat Sushi is a Turkish Van and fits the description to a tee. He loves water. When I take a bath he plays with the bubbles and even jumps in the tub when the water it draining out. He has fallen in the pool twice which he didn't like very much!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Your Profile Picture

You know, after reading your post I was intrigued to learn more about Turkish Van cats. I had never heard of the breed and I certainly didn't know that there were cats out there who loved water! So I googled the breed by name and came up with this web site (which I think says it all): http://www.swimmingcats.com/.

Here is a quote from the web site, which gives the origin of the Turkish Van cat, "The Turkish Van is an ancient and natural breed believed to have originated in the eastern part of Turkey which is also known as Eastern Anatolia. Because they were 'discovered' by two Englishwomen (Sonia Halliday and Laura Lushington) in the 1950s near Lake Van, they were named the Turkish Van cats. Since that time, cats of other breeds that exhibit the classic pattern of a Turkish Van (i.e., color primarily on the head and tail) have been called 'van patterned'."

These cats are really interesting, I plan to read more about them. Thanks for sharing info about your cat, Sushi. He sounds like he has one heck of a personality!