Go Back   Pet Forums - Yeepet > Cats > Cat Health & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

My cat pees on the couch!

Cat Health & Care

Old 09-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Your Profile Picture
Default My cat pees on the couch!

My mom has a 4 year female cat at home. She has been peeing on the couch for years. Every time my mom yells and she hides under the bed. So she obviously knows this is wrong. However, she cannot help herself.

She is a very smart cat. But we feel she does this on purpose sometimes to revenge. We are very frustrated.

How can we correct her bad habit? What is the psychological reason of doing this?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Your Profile Picture
Default Why cats pee on walls, furniture, and clothes

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorine View Post
My mom has a 4 year female cat at home. She has been peeing on the couch for years. Every time my mom yells and she hides under the bed. So she obviously knows this is wrong. However, she cannot help herself.

She is a very smart cat. But we feel she does this on purpose sometimes to revenge. We are very frustrated.

How can we correct her bad habit? What is the psychological reason of doing this?
Cats are prone to anxiety and take their attitude out on their surroundings and sometimes even people they dislike are the target. A clients husband, who wasn't a cat person, opened his suitcase on a trip to find out his wife's cat had used it as a litter box. The cat was getting back at him for his teasing and tormenting.

New cats, animals, or people inside or outside the house can trigger spraying in a nervous cat also. If a cat doesn't feel comfy in its house, the smell of its urine in the house makes it feel better.New cats outside the window or in the backyard can cause anxiety peeing

Giving the cats treats and attention when it is interacting with everyone and not spraying can help

Prozac administered for 30-90 days may help reduce anxiety and the urge to pee. It may even stick after the drug is discontinued

If a cat starts peeing frequently and inappropiately, it can be due to a bladder infection, but a cat that acts like yours is nervous and peeing for spite

Old 11-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Your Profile Picture

Yes I agree. We try to give her enough attention but I just feel somehow my cat thinks she's ruling the family as she's the queen. My mom treats her very well and spends a lot of time with her. But she's still needy. I don't think there is a health problem with her. It's a psychonogical issue.